At New England Orthodontics Specialists, we know that the journey to straight teeth is just as important as the final look. We want all our patients to be comfortable and confident during their treatment. Confidence in your care starts with quality information, and we are excited to share how clear aligners can benefit you and your teen!
Clear aligners are transparent plastic trays that straighten the teeth over time by applying pressure. They straighten teeth just as effectively as braces, but there are some differences beneficial to your teen that we’re excited to tell you about!
Aligners are Practical!
No treatment is one-size-fits-all! Clear aligners are custom-made for every individual using high-tech devices, so you know your teen’s treatment will be as comfortable and accurate as possible.
Using X-rays and digital scans of your teen’s mouth, Dr. Diana or Dr. Neil will have a detailed and comprehensive look at your teen’s gums and teeth. Because the scans are more exhaustive than a traditional mold, our team is able to spot potential complications before treatment even begins! With these images, your orthodontist can map out your specific treatment plan and show you and your teen a visual prediction of the final results! Seeing what we’re all working towards is a great motivator to wear those trays!
Then, Dr. Diana or Dr. Neil will have your teen’s first series of trays made. Clear aligners are perfect for on-the-go families because your teen can switch to the next tray at home in seconds! Your teen will wear one set as their orthodontist prescribes, usually for one to two weeks, before moving on to the next tray in the series.
Aligners are Removable!
Clear aligning trays are removable! While it is crucial that your teen wear the trays for twenty to twenty-two hours per day, their removability has fantastic advantages!
- No food restrictions! – Clear aligners must be removed to eat or drink anything other than water. This means your teen can stick to their regular diet! Popcorn at the movies? Yes, please! Sticky candy on Halloween? Of course! Crunchy Doritos at lunch? As long the trays are removed!
- Same routine! – Your teen does not have to learn a new oral hygiene routine! Twice a day, they just need to remove the trays to brush and floss their teeth like normal. There are no cleaning tools to carry around or extra time spent in front of the mirror.
- Special occasions are no problem! – Trays can be removed for special occasions, such as class picture day or sports practice if necessary.
Aligners have Easy Maintenance!
There is no need to worry about if your teen can keep the clear aligners clean! The process is easy and only takes a few minutes.
When your teen removes the aligners to brush their teeth, they just need to run them under lukewarm water and gently brush them with a separate toothbrush from the one used to brush their teeth. They may use a small amount of antibacterial soap but be sure to ask Dr. Diana and Dr. Neil before putting any product on the trays. They should wait for the trays to dry completely before wearing them.
Please do not buy toothpaste for the aligners. Toothpaste can be too harsh and scratch the surface of the trays, making them uncomfortable for wear. To keep them clean from food residue, rinse your mouth with water after eating before putting the aligners on. This keeps them free from germs and maintains their clear appearance.
Aligners have a Subtle Design!
At New England Orthodontic Specialists, we will always encourage your teen to be confident in themselves and their appearance before, during, and after treatment. However, we also understand that some patients might prefer a less noticeable look than traditional braces. The transparency and snug fit of clear aligners make them practically invisible; most people won’t even notice your teen is wearing them! With clear aligners, your teen is more likely to smile and participate in everyday activities as much as they did before treatment, if not more!
The Invisalign for Teens Difference.
We are proud providers of the Invisalign for Teens treatment option! While they are very similar to Invisalign for adult patients, the teen program offers helpful features that make them a perfect fit for the whole family!
- The Compliance Dot – Are you worried your teen might not be entirely truthful about how often they wear their trays? Invisalign for Teens comes with a small blue dot on the back of the tray that changes to white or blue. The color is changed by saliva in the mouth over time, so you can be sure they are wearing them as prescribed.
- Replacement Trays – Is your child prone to losing or breaking their belongings? Invisalign for Teens comes with a limited number of replacement trays! While we do still encourage your teen to care for their trays properly, we are excited to say that the most inconvenient part of getting a replacement is waiting for it to arrive! Dr. Neil and Dr. Diana can adjust your teen’s treatment plan, if necessary, to keep them on track to a straight smile.
- Eruption Tabs – Is your teen ready to start treatment now but still missing some of their adult teeth? Invisalign for Teens now has the option of Eruption Tabs, which are tabs in the trays that allow room for teeth to “erupt” and grow while wearing the aligners. No need to stop or delay treatment!
Visit New England Orthodontic Specialists for all your clear aligner needs!
Want to find out if clear aligners are right for you and your teen? Schedule an appointment with New England Orthodontic Specialists today! Call or visit one of our four convenient locations to get more information about our free and virtual consultations! It is important to note that clear aligners might not be for everybody. Dr. Diana and Dr. Neil would love to review the options for you and your teen to find the best solution!
Keep up with on Instagram, We look forward to meeting you soon!